I created this spicy Italian sausage and pasta dish to have just the right balance between savory and spicy to be addictive. It's great as a left over or lunch to reheat at work or home for several days, so I've made it a large quantity. If you like blackened Italian sausage, you can follow the directions for that found in the instructions. You can also easily cook this up in about 30 to 40 minutes.
SALSICCIA e PASTA ITALIANA PICCANTE
- 16 oz. container of bow tie pasta (I used the high protein version Barilla Protein Plus, boiled for 12 to 13 minutes because they take longer than regular pasta)
- 7 c. chopped broccolini heads
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 12 fully cooked Beef Hot Links / Hillshire Farms, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices (I don't personally like any other brand of Hot Links including Johnsonville, and I cannot promise you that the flavor will be as flavorful if you don't use Hillshire Farms version.)
- 1/2 of a large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed through a garlic press
- 2 to 3 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2/3 c. grated shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Start boiling enough water to cook the box of pasta.
2. While waiting for the water to boil, cut up the broccolini heads, breaking any large pieces in half and then slice up the hot links sausage.
3. Cook 16 oz. package of bow tie pasta according to the package directions, AND adding the brocolini into the boiling water during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Place a lid partially on top to keep moisture circulating around the brocolini floating on top. (I had to cook the Barilla Protein Plus version for 12 to 13 minutes in order to cook it thoroughly)
4. While the pasta is boiling, chop up the onion and press the garlic cloves, making sure to scrap out any extra bits left in the press. (Choose below for how you would like your sausage cooked)
- IF YOU WANT BLACKENED SAUSAGE: Put the cut up sausage in a hot large saute pan and stir often to blacken the sausage to your liking. Then add the oil, onions, garlic, salt and pepper. The blackened frying pan and sausage will add a great flavor to the oil. Stir often until onions are translucent and soft. Remove from heat.
- IF YOU WANT REGULAR SAUSAGE: Put the oil in a large saute pan, heat, then add the sausage. Fry sausage on medium high for about 4 minutes, stirring often. This will get the flavors from the spicy sausage infused into the oil. Then add the onion, garlic, salt and pepper and saute until the onions are translucent and soft (stirring often). Remove from heat.
5. Drain pasta and brocolini thoroughly, place back in pan or large serving dish. Pour the sausage and onion mixture over the pasta and brocolini, making sure to scrape out as much of the juices and oil you can, mix together. Add shredded Parmesan and stir until completely mixed in. Serve. Please share any comments or how you made this dish your own "Creation In The Kitchen".