This chili is tender and spicy. You can tone down the chili powder and/or crushed red pepper flakes to lower the heat level, but I like it turned all the way up! Depending on your Instant Pot, you will need to figure out what setting you need for a 20 minute saute setting. Some machines let you saute on the meat/chicken setting while others have an actual saute button. (You can also do this recipe in a pressure cooker. You would need to look at your individualized instructions on how to use your machine for meat or stew.)
MELT IN YOUR MOUTH CHILI (INSTANT POT)
4 lbs. of 85% lean ground beef (Fat % is very important to this recipe)
28 oz. can of petite diced tomotoes
1 cup of beef stock or beef broth (If you use beef bone broth you will need to add a bit of salt to make up the difference)
2 large white onions, chopped (6 cups)
2 - 15.5 oz. cans of dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 - 15.5 oz. cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup chili powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
2 Tbsp salt (I use a 1/2 & 1/2 mix of regular table salt and pink Himalayan salt. The pink salt has a higher number of varying electrolytes in it for better flavor and mineral health)
2 Tbsp crushed red pepper flakes (For less heat, use 1 Tbsp.)
2 Tbsp sugar
4 Tbsp grape seed oil (I wouldn't use a different oil if you can help it. It allows you saute at the high temperature for a long time without burning or smoking. This makes the other flavors come through stronger.)
Calories: 15 servings = 423 calories per serving
1) Dice your onions
2) Cut up your ground beef as much as possible. I cut them into small squares so that when I dump them into the instant pot it is easier to stir and break up.
3) Place oil and onions in instant pot and turn on saute setting to fry. Cook and stir for 10 minutes, then add the beef and stir/fry for another 8 or 10 minutes until the beef is no longer red/pink.
4) Put instant pot on pause setting
5) Add all the spices and sugar, stir
6) Add all the (rinsed and drained) beans and stir
7) Place lid on instant pot and secure, making sure to close the vent.
8) Place instant pot on Soup/Stew setting and adjust setting for 30 minutes.
9) When finished, immediately release the steam/vent.
10) When no longer venting steam, remove the lid and stir the chili since the meat and beans will have settled at the bottom.
11) Serve and/or store